[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Bob Gustafson <bobgus at rcn dot com>
 To:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  Monowall Support List <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] internet storm?
 Date:  Sat, 15 Mar 2008 16:44:40 -0500
See below for reply

On Sat, 2008-03-15 at 17:10 -0400, Chris Buechler wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 5:05 PM, Bob Gustafson <bobgus at rcn dot com> wrote:
> > I am in the configuration stage of a new ALIX board (3C2) with a Compex
> >  WLM54G 200mW B/G wifi card.
> >
> >  On the serial port, I get a continuing stream of lines:
> >   interrupt storm detected on "irq9:"; throttling interrupt source
> >
> >  maybe once a second or so.
> >
> >  What do these mean?
> >

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interrupt_storm
>
> In this case, likely either a hardware problem or a driver bug.
>
> Make sure your ALIX has the latest BIOS on it, as earlier revisions
> have had various bugs. Also make sure you're on the latest 1.3b
> release, as it's based on FreeBSD 6.3 which has a newer ath HAL that
> has been reported to work better than the 6.2 one.
>
> -Chris

I just now downloaded the latest BIOS from pcengines and looked at the
latest directory and did:

[user1@hoho2 ALI6117]$ strings BIOS.BIN
ALI M6117C
tinyBIOS V1.3a (C)1997-2001 PC Engines

--- this gives me the latest version number of the bios ---
--- Then:

>From the serial line 'console' coming from the board, when I reboot, I
see:

(note that the serial line output gets a bit scrambled during reboot. I
don't know whether it is changing line speeds in the middle or not. Is
this normal?)

(Also, I don't see anything that might be the BIOS version in the
output)
(Maybe you can interpret it better)

Rebooting...
PC Engines ALIX.3
v0.98
640 KB Base
Memory
261120 KB Extended
Memory

01F0 Master 044A CF
1GB
Phys C/H/S 1966/16/63 Log C/H/S
983/32/63
Consoles: internal
video/keyboard
BIOS drive C: is
disk0
BIOS 640kB/261120kB available
memory

FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision
1.1
(root at mb63 dot neon1 dot net, Sat Mar  1 18:38:30 CET
2008)
/kernel text=0x2eb62c data=0x38e74+0x1fa34 syms=[0x4+0x40660+0x4
+0x51ae9]
)9?  root@m?gn?9?v;??.n?G???w?5'7?n?7?.????????;?ile??:?N0WALL_WRAPAL%
?]8?Tim i
)'N9?PCI-ISA?%;??dge> port
0x6000-0x6007,0x6100-0x61ff,0x620??9?x623???06 f0
)?usb1: <AMD CS5536 USB 2.0 controller> on ehci09?0/1.00, add?.?8auhub0:
4 ?CI ]
usb1: USB revision
2.0
uhub1: AMD EHCI root ?W'??77.?9?, rev 2.00/1.00, addr
1
uhub1: 4 ports with 4 removable, self
powered
pmtimer0
??.???0
orm0: <ISA Option ROM> at iomem 0xe0000-0xeafff on
isa0
sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on
isa0
)?sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs
0
sio1: port may not be
enabled
Timecounter "TSC" frequency 498052330 Hz quality
800
Timecounters tick every 1.000
msec
Fast IPsec: Initialized Security Association
Processing.
IP Filter: v4.1.28 initialized.  Default = block all, Logging =
enabled
md0: Preloaded image </mfsroot> 15728640 bytes at
0xc07d703c
ad0: 967MB <CF 1GB 20070709> at ata0-master
PIO4
Trying to mount root from
ufs:/dev/md0
kern.coredump: 1 ->
0
Found configuration on
ad0.
Initializing timezone...
done
Configuring firewall...
done
Configuring LAN interface...
done
Configuring WAN interface... vr0: link state changed to
UP
done
Starting syslog service...
done
Starting webGUI...
done
Starting DNS forwarder...
done
Starting DHCP service...
done
Starting NTP client...
done

*** This is m0n0wall, version
1.3b10
    built on Sat Mar  1 18:40:58 CET 2008 for
wrap
    Copyright (C) 2002-2008 by Manuel Kasper. All rights
reserved.
    Visit http://m0n0.ch/wall for
updates.

    LAN IP address: