[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Bob Gustafson <bobgus at rcn dot com>
 To:  Monowall Support List <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] internet storm?
 Date:  Sat, 15 Mar 2008 20:42:22 -0500
On Sat, 2008-03-15 at 18:15 -0400, Chris Buechler wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 5:44 PM, Bob Gustafson <bobgus at rcn dot com> wrote:
> >
> >  PC Engines ALIX.3
> >  v0.98
> >

> Your BIOS version is v0.98, v0.99 is the latest. File and instructions here:
> http://pcengines.ch/alix2.htm
>
> -Chris

[user1@hoho2 freedos3]$ file freedos_alixupdate_0.99.img
freedos_alixupdate_0.99.img: x86 boot sector, BSD disklabel

Looks like it is not gzipped..

[user1@hoho2 freedos3]$ df
/dev/mapper/rootvg-root
                      65515176  40934472  21199048  66% /
/dev/md0                101018     50679     45123  53% /boot
tmpfs                  1557480        24   1557456   1% /dev/shm
/dev/sdc1               990064         0    990064   0% /media/disk-1

Be careful to use the correct disk, and leave off the partition number

[user1@hoho2 freedos3]$ cat freedos_alixupdate_0.99.img | dd of=/dev/sdc
bs=16kdd: opening `/dev/sdc': Permission denied

Whoops

[user1@hoho2 freedos3]$ su
Password:
[root@hoho2 freedos3]# cat freedos_alixupdate_0.99.img | dd of=/dev/sdc
bs=16k
501+2 records in
501+2 records out
8225280 bytes (8.2 MB) copied, 0.0493844 s, 167 MB/s

[root@hoho2 freedos3]# umount /media/disk-1
[root@hoho2 freedos3]#

-- plugging flashed disk into Alix and plugging in power gave:

PC Engines ALIX.3
v0.98
640 KB Base
Memory
261120 KB Extended
Memory

01F0 Master 044A CF
1GB
Phys C/H/S 1966/16/63 Log C/H/S
983/32/63
FreeDOS kernel build 2036 cvs [version Aug 18 2006 compiled Aug 18
2006].......3
Kernel compatibility 7.10 - WATCOMC - 80386 CPU required - FAT32
support

(C) Copyright 1995-2006 Pasquale J. Villani and The FreeDOS
Project.
All Rights Reserved. This is free software and comes with ABSOLUTELY
NO
WARRANTY; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of
the
GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software
Foundation;
either version 2, or (at your option) any later
version.
 - InitDiskWARNING: using suspect partition Pri:1 FS 06: with calculated
values9
C: HD1, Pri[ 1], CHS=    0-1-1, start=     0 MB, size=    15
MB
FreeDOS HIMEM64 3.26 [Aug 25 2006] (c) 1995, Till Gerken 2001-2006 tom
ehlert
HIMEM - Always On A20 method
used
Kernel: allocated 43 Diskbuffers = 22876 Bytes in
HMA

FreeCom version 0.84-pre2 XMS_Swap [Aug 28 2006
00:29:00]
C:\>

--- Hmm, this is not going to be so easy. Need to hit 'S' in the middle
of the memory test, but I am plugging in the power wart and then getting
back to the keyboard too late. Fast board, slow fingers.

--- Ho, maybe I am there already without doing the 'S' 'L' 'Q' 'Y'
process outlined in the pcengines /freedos.htm page.

C:
\>S
Bad command or filename -
"S".
C:
\>help
Bad command or filename -
"help".
C:
\>ls
Bad command or filename -
"ls".
C:
\>pwd
Bad command or filename - "pwd".

--- ok, Google to the rescue. See
http://www.linfo.org/freedos_commands.html

C:
\>alias
C:
\>date
Current date is Sat
01-01-2000
Enter new date
(mm-dd-[cc]yy):
C:
\>dir
 Volume in drive C has no
label
 Volume Serial Number is
4752-912D
 Directory of C:
\

BIN                  <DIR>  11-26-07
4:03p
COMMAND  COM        66,945  08-29-06
2:40a
FAT16    BSS           512  08-19-06
3:08p
FDAUTO   BAT            28  01-30-00
3:53p
FDCONFIG 1           1,755  10-20-07
9:21a
FDCONFIG SYS           462  10-20-07
9:45a
GRDB     OPT            22  12-31-99
3:00p
KERNEL   SYS        45,341  08-29-06
6:05a
README   TXT           644  10-21-07
12:47a
SB       COM         1,648  08-29-07
5:36p
SYSLINUX CFG            76  11-26-07
3:38p
ALIX1    BIN       524,288  12-10-07
2:00p
ALIXBIOS TXT         5,052  12-10-07
2:01p
        12 file(s)        646,773
bytes
         1 dir(s)      15,144,448 bytes
free
C:\>

--- now, to run the program SB.COM. (There does not seem to be a 'run'
command..)

C:
\>SB.COM
ALIX flash update (C)2007 PC Engines
GmbH
Flash ID = 1 FFFF GPI =
FF
Flash ID = 0 9D37 GPI =
02
Reading 512KB flash image alix2.bin - I/O
error !
C:\>

--- That was fast, but the I/O error may be a problem.. Are we supposed
to get an error?

--- Try a reboot with the FreeDOS card still there and see if there are
problems..

C:\>PC Engines ALIX.3
v0.98
640 KB Base
Memory
261120 KB Extended
Memory

01F0 Master 044A CF
1GB
C:\>

--- Still shows PC Engines ALIX.3 v0.98. Not so good.

--- Looking things over carefully, I see that the command SB.COM is
trying to load Alix.2, but there is no Alix.2, only Alix.1

--- Maybe there is some documentation in ALIXBIOS.TXT ? No, only
revision history

--- Well, just rename the file..

C:\>ren ALIX1.BIN
ALIX2.BIN
C:
\>sb.com
ALIX flash update (C)2007 PC Engines
GmbH
Flash ID = 1 FFFF GPI =
FF
Flash ID = 0 9D37 GPI =
02
Reading 512KB flash image
alix2.bin................
Compare Erase Program Verify - update
OK.
C:\>

-- Looks good, try reboot.

C:\>PC Engines ALIX.2
v0.99
640 KB Base
Memory
261120 KB Extended
Memory

01F0 Master 044A CF 1GB

--- OK, now replace FreeDOS CF with M0n0 CF flash disk and power up
again.

PC Engines ALIX.2
v0.99
640 KB Base
Memory
261120 KB Extended
Memory

01F0 Master 044A CF
1GB
Phys C/H/S 1966/16/63 Log C/H/S
983/32/63
Consoles: internal
video/keyboard
BIOS drive C: is
disk0
BIOS 640kB/261120kB available
memory

FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision
1.1
(root at mb63 dot neon1 dot net, Sat Mar  1 18:38:30 CET
2008)
/kernel text=0x2eb62c data=0x38e74+0x1fa34 syms=[0x4+0x40660+0x4
+0x51ae9]
Copyright (c) 1992-2008 The FreeBSD
Project.
Copyright (c) 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993,
1994
        The Regents of the University of California. All rights
reserved.
FreeBSD is a registered trademark of The FreeBSD
Foundation.
FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE-p1 #0: Sat Feb 23 20:17:24 CET
2008

root at mb63 dot neon1 dot net:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/M0N0WALL_WRAPALIX
Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality
0
CPU: Geode(TM) Integrated Processor by AMD PCS (498.05-MHz 586-class
CPU)
  Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x5a2  Stepping =
2

Features=0x88a93d<FPU,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,CX8,SEP,PGE,CMOV,CLFLUSH,MMX>
  AMD Features=0xc0400000<MMX+,3DNow!+,3DNow!

real memory  = 268435456 (256
MB)
avail memory = 240717824 (229
MB)
pnpbios: Bad PnP BIOS data
checksum
wlan: mac acl policy
registered
K6-family MTRR support enabled (2
registers)
ath_hal: 0.9.20.3 (AR5210, AR5211, AR5212, RF5111, RF5112, RF2413,
RF5413)
cpu0 on
motherboard
pcib0: <Host to PCI bridge> pcibus 0 on
motherboard
pci0: <PCI bus> on
pcib0
MFGPT bar:
f00100006200
pci0: <encrypt/decrypt, entertainment crypto> at device 1.2 (no driver
attached)
vr0: <VIA VT6105M Rhine III 10/100BaseTX> port 0x1000-0x10ff mem
0xe0000000-0xe0
vr0: Quirks:
0x2
miibus0: <MII bus> on
vr0
ukphy0: <Generic IEEE 802.3u media interface> on
miibus0
ukphy0:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX,
auto
vr0: Ethernet address:
00:0d:b9:12:83:98
ath0: <Atheros 5212> mem 0xe0040000-0xe004ffff irq 9 at device 12.0 on
pci0
ath0: Ethernet address:
00:80:48:7e:13:62
ath0: mac 7.8 phy 4.5 radio
5.6
isab0: <PCI-ISA bridge> port
0x6000-0x6007,0x6100-0x61ff,0x6200-0x623f,0x9d00-00
isa0: <ISA bus> on
isab0
atapci0: <AMD CS5536 UDMA100 controller> port
0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6,0x170-0x177,0x30
ata0: <ATA channel 0> on
atapci0
ata1: <ATA channel 1> on
atapci0
ohci0: <OHCI (generic) USB controller> mem 0xefffe000-0xefffefff irq 15
at devi0
ohci0:
[GIANT-LOCKED]
usb0: OHCI version 1.0, legacy
support
usb0: <OHCI (generic) USB controller> on
ohci0
usb0: USB revision
1.0
uhub0: AMD OHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr
1
uhub0: 4 ports with 4 removable, self
powered
ehci0: <AMD CS5536 USB 2.0 controller> mem 0xefffd000-0xefffdfff irq 15
at devi0
ehci0:
[GIANT-LOCKED]
usb1: EHCI version
1.0
usb1: companion controller, 4 ports each:
usb0
usb1: <AMD CS5536 USB 2.0 controller> on
ehci0
usb1: USB revision
2.0
uhub1: AMD EHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr
1
uhub1: 4 ports with 4 removable, self
powered
pmtimer0 on
isa0
orm0: <ISA Option ROM> at iomem 0xe0000-0xea7ff on
isa0
sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on
isa0
sio0: type 16550A,
console
sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs
0
sio1: port may not be
enabled
RTC BIOS diagnostic error
80<clock_battery>
Timecounter "TSC" frequency 498054186 Hz quality
800
Timecounters tick every 1.000
msec
Fast IPsec: Initialized Security Association
Processing.
IP Filter: v4.1.28 initialized.  Default = block all, Logging =
enabled
md0: Preloaded image </mfsroot> 15728640 bytes at
0xc07d703c
ad0: 967MB <CF 1GB 20070709> at ata0-master
PIO4
Trying to mount root from
ufs:/dev/md0
kern.coredump: 1 ->
0
Found configuration on
ad0.
Initializing timezone...
done
Configuring firewall...
done
Configuring LAN interface...
done
Configuring WAN interface... vr0: link state changed to
UP
done
Starting syslog service...
done
Starting webGUI...
done
Starting DNS forwarder...
done
Starting DHCP service...
done
Starting NTP client...
done

*** This is m0n0wall, version
1.3b10
    built on Sat Mar  1 18:40:58 CET 2008 for
wrap
    Copyright (C) 2002-2008 by Manuel Kasper. All rights
reserved.
    Visit http://m0n0.ch/wall for
updates.

    LAN IP address:
192.168.1.1

    Port
configuration:

    LAN   ->
ath0
    WAN   ->
vr0

m0n0wall console
setup
**********************
1) Interfaces: assign network
ports
2) Set up LAN IP
address
3) Reset webGUI
password
4) Reset to factory
defaults
5) Reboot
system
6) Ping
host

Enter a number:

--- However the interrupt storm is still there.

interrupt storm detected on "irq9:"; throttling interrupt
source
interrupt storm detected on "irq9:"; throttling interrupt source

--- Status->Interfaces still shows LAN with 'no carrier'

in/out packets 0/0
in/out errors 353/0

This is even though the Status-> Wireless shows lots of neighborhood
transmitters.

On my little OLPC, I don't see ALIX transmitting.

---

What should I try next?