[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 Cc:  Monowall Support List <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Senao APs Was: [m0n0wall] Wireless WDS
 Date:  Sun, 16 Mar 2008 12:56:31 -0500
Alex M wrote:
> 450m over water is nice. Was that 2.4Ghz w/ vertically polarized antenna?
> I have the project where I need to get 1.5km over the river with omni
> antenna. I still thinking how can I get that range. I guess 5.8Ghz but it
> has low power limits :(

For the record, at each end was a WRET54GL running Thybor firmware.  The
internet side had a 180 flat panel antenna at 7-10db gain.  There were 3
APs in client mode, as well as normal users.  The first 2 APs had about
150 yards with clear line of site (other than occasional trees) and used
the Hawking 15db 90 degree indoor antenna.
http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/productlist.php?CatID=32&FamID=58&ProdID=152
(Outdoors, by the way)  The last AP was the 450 yards or so.  It was in
a covered marina, and the boat was on the wrong side of the pier.  Plus
it had to cross two other covered piers (all metal) and several masts
and antennas.  It had the WRT, the antenna, and the HSB2 signal booster.
  It worked fine in very heavy rain.

			Lee