[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "David Burgess" <apt dot get at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  "Monowall Support List" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Senao APs Was: [m0n0wall] Wireless WDS
 Date:  Sun, 16 Mar 2008 21:58:01 -0600
For long distance shots I can definitely recommend Motorola Canopy wireless.
They come in a variety of frequencies, all proprietary links though, so
you'll need the AP and client radios. Very pricy, I might add, but terribly
reliable.

I have a lot of experience with the 900 MHz series; they'll do 40+ miles
reliably on line of sight, 13 dbi antenna at the client and 10 dbi omni at
the tower. I have no doubt the 2.4 and 5.8 will do the 5 miles or whatever
they're claiming. I think they also have a new 5.4 GHz line which might get
a little less interference, depending on your environment.

On the 11g side, however, I've seen guys around here use a standard 200mW
atheros card attached to a panel @ 10dbi or whatever they're rated at. I
think they're using yagis at the tower though, no omnis that I know of.

db