[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  "Monowall User List" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 1.232 total freezes since we use PPPOE
 Date:  Mon, 17 Mar 2008 03:03:41 -0400
On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 2:57 AM, YvesDM <ydmlog at gmail dot com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I 'm in the process of changing all our m0n0wall 1.232 based hotspots from
>  cable internet connections (dhcp) to adsl lines using pppoe.
>  Now I experience many total freezes on the machines using pppoe. System is
>  not responding anymore, not on the wan and not on the lan side.
>  No more dhcp, etc. The only thing we can do is power cycle the machine to
>  bring it alive again.
>  Most systems are compaq SFF EN series  loaded with rtl8139d nics (I know...)
>
>  Before, with dhcp, these machines never locked up.We had uptimes of many
>  months without issues.
>  So now I wonder what could be causing this? Can it be on the ISP site? The
>  isp sends session-timeout every 48 hours, and it looks like the lockup
>  occurs at that moment (not 100% sure)
>  On the other hand, I got m0n0's (same hardware) running on adsl lines from
>  other ISP's and have no problem with them. But the other ISP doesn't
>  disconnect every 48 hours....
>  Anyway, m0n0 should be able to reconnect without problems after a
>  session-timeout disconnect, so i'm kind of stuck here.
>  I've been thinking of changing the realtek nics with 3com nics just to see
>  what happens.
>  Anyone else had similar issues b4 or an explanation what's happening here?
>  All suggestions are welcome.

I suggest trying 1.3b10. There's a rare but recurring problem with
1.2x versions freezing solid like that, and 1.3x does not exhibit the
same behavior. I've only seen it happen to one of about 40 total
installs, and upgrading to 1.3b fixed it and it hasn't had any
problems since. Whatever causes that freeze could be occurring now
when it didn't previously.

-Chris