[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  mtnbkr <waa dash m0n0wall at revpol dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall on WRAP/ALIX spontaneously rebooting
 Date:  Wed, 19 Mar 2008 16:12:21 -0400
Hi Bob... The funny thing is that the ONLY change on the network before
this panicing started was that I shut down their 9 year old Linux djbdns
server and fired up the new virtual Gentoo Linux djbdns server within
their VMWare ESX 3.5 server.

Nothing else changed. The old dns server ran djbdns. I run djbdns at all
of my client's sites (all with m0n0walls on WRAPs too)

Before increasing my CACHESIZE variable, I did watch the dnscache log
file on the new dns server and it was pretty busy.  After increasing it,
as well as increasing it on the email server (I run dnscache there too
to ease the load on the internal dns server) I noticed that after an
initial 'burst' of activity, it quieted down quickly as expected and all
ran smoothly for about 20 hours.

In actuality, YOUR issue interests me even more since I have djbdns
running in some rather large networks with mix of MACs, Windows and
Linux systems and have had 100% success with it, and nothing like you
describe. As a matter of fact even in this current case, djbdns never
stops working, is super-fast in replying to all requests and it is just
the firewall that is kernel panicing and rebooting.