[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Giuseppe Vacanti <gvacanti at cosine dot nl>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Problem with port 25
 Date:  Sat, 22 Mar 2008 17:18:06 +0100
Hello,

I have recently had to change my external IPs, and I have at the same
time installed version 1.233. I experience now the following problem.

I have a NAT configuration that sends port 25 on the WAN to a host on my
internal network. On the internal network I can telnet to port 25 and
everything is fine. From the external network, this is what I get:

telnet mysmtp 25
Trying xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx...
Connected to mysmtp.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 ***************
ehlo sample.com
250-mysmtp
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 31000000
250-ETRN
250-XXXXXXXA
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250 DSN

The response is somewhat garbled. Delivery of email works, but because
the ehlo does not return STARTTLS the communication is never encrypted.

What puzzles me no end, is that if I NAT another port (I have tried 2525
and 23), the response is ok

telnet mysmtp 2525
Trying xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx...
Connected to mysmtp.