[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Adam Armstrong <lists at memetic dot org>
 To:  Tet Yoon Lee <leety at ihug dot co dot nz>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] IPv6
 Date:  Thu, 27 Mar 2008 17:18:36 +0000
Tet Yoon Lee wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Now that stuff IPv6 seems to be starting to get off the ground at long last, are there any plans
for full IPv6 in m0n0wall? In other words m0n0wall being able to have an IPv6 address and to route
IPv6 traffic, of course with support for IPv6 in the firewall, with DHCP, in the traffic shaper
etc...? Rather then as things are now where I believe the only option is for another server to
handle the IPv6 stuff.

Well, there are some fundamental differences between the design of
m0n0wall and the way IPv6 is designed to work. Firstly IPv6 doesn't (or
shouldn't) have NAT support, whereas NAT is probably what most m0n0walls do.

Perhaps it would be easier to fork m0n0 and create an IPv6 version? I
wouldn't object to running two devices in the places i use IPv6, at
embedded device costs it's not really an issue at all!

m6n6wall? (oh dear me...)

adam.