[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jeff Buehler <jeff at buehlertech dot com>
 To:  Michel Servaes <michel at mcmc dot be>
 Cc:  Monowall User List <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] how to add a route for a IPSEC VPN that lies on another box ?
 Date:  Mon, 17 Mar 2008 17:20:27 -0700
Hi Michael -

Being a "Virtual Private Network" a VPN is intended to allow an
artificail, encrypted comuter to join a preexisting LAN.  So, if you
have a private (non-public) IP via a VPN (i.e. 192.168.22.x) then that
is your route.  In other words, you mention that you have an IPSEC VPN
to the office already, I assume your m0n0wall to the PFSsense device.
If that is the case, then your home m0n0wall already belongs to the
office LAN thanks to the IPSEC VPN, and your computer being attached to
the m0n0wall should then be a member of that LAN as well, being either
assigned a private IP via DHCP for the IPSEC VPN LAN or assigning itself
one.

So, the IPSEC VPN tunnel between your home m0n0wall and office PFSEnse
devices might have IP's in a range of something like 192.168.10.1 -
192.168.10.254.  If that is the case, your workstation should then be
able to assign itself or be assigned an IP in that range and be part of
the LAN provided by the VPN.  IN other words, if I understand your
email, you already have a route established, you just need to use it.

Jeff

<http://www.buehlerarts.com>