[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Soren Vanggaard Jensen <svanggaard at hotmail dot com>
 To:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Vista/MTU Problem - bug in traffic shaper
 Date:  Wed, 9 Apr 2008 01:29:04 +0000
Actually I see the problem on all the releases I've been using/testing.

The test setup is fairly easy to reproduce:

Set up a 1.3b11 monowall router (traffic shaping enabled).
Attach a wireless accesspoint/bridge to OPT1
Enable captive portal with "per-user bandwidth restriction"

Start a Vista machine and try getting http://cnn.com from Internet explorer (if you're able to log
in on the captive portal).
If you point your browser to http://www.google.com you are likely to be able to search. However only
a fraction of the links can be followed.

BR

> Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 21:15:24 -0400> From: cbuechler at gmail dot com> CC: m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
Subject: Re: [m0n0wall] Vista/MTU Problem - bug in traffic shaper> > On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 8:50 PM,

haunting me.> >> > I've seen several problems with Windows Vista and monowall. The problem is> >
probably caused by a default MTU setting of 1500 in the Windows Vista> > network Layer.> > No, every
version of Windows is 1500 on Ethernet out of the box,> always has been.> > > > If i edit the Vista
registry settings (reduce mtu to> > something < 1400) connectivity is restored.> >> > In general i
see the problems when the Vista is connected to> > monowall/internet through a wirellesss router.
Cabled connections always> > works. Sometimes i've been able to correct the problem by setting
MTU=1400> > on WAN and OPT1 interfaces. However when I'm also using the captive portal i> > the
problems gets worse. In some cases the Vista client cannot even display> > the captive portal
loginpage.> >> > I've recently discovered, that disabling captive portal bandwith limitation> >
solves the problem. That is, CP "per-user bandwidth restriction" has some> > sort of bug.> >> > Any
thoughts?> >> > First thing I'd suggest is trying the latest 1.3 if you're using 1.2.> My first
guess is it's related to window scaling or other network> changes in Vista that brings up bugs in
parts of ipfw and/or dummynet> in FreeBSD 4.x, which isn't surprising since it's been 5+ years
since> any significant development has happened in 4.x and those type of> network changes didn't
exist in widespread use at that point.> Adjusting the MTU apparently adjusts how the problematic
portion> works, and avoids the issue. It's likely long since fixed in newer> FreeBSD versions. If
not, any troubleshooting efforts will need to> start with a newer FreeBSD version anyway to get
unsubscribe, e-mail: m0n0wall dash unsubscribe at lists dot m0n0 dot ch> For additional commands, e-mail:
m0n0wall dash help at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
Discover the new Windows Vista