[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 1.3b Woes
 Date:  Thu, 1 May 2008 19:49:48 -0400
On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 6:31 PM, Fred Grayson <fredgrayson at bellsouth dot net> wrote:
> I run m0n0 1.233 on a AMD-K6 - III/450 with 128MB of RAM with three DLINK
> NICs (Realtec chipset - yes I know all about how crappy these can be) on a
> 16MB DOM flash IDE drive.
>
>  I have also run this version with three 3Com NICs, and also with both types
> of NICs on a small, 1.2GB IDE hard drive. It works fine, no problems with
> anything no matter what the mix of drive type or NICs.
>

>  However, I can't very far with any 1.3b that I have tried (b7-b11). It
> doesn't matter which NICs or whether on the HD or Flash drive. It fails
> identically the same way.
>
>  I can boot it and assign interfaces. Then I can assign m0n0's LAN IP and
> netmask. Then I can ping m0n0's LAN IP from the console. But that's it.
>
>  I can't ping any other IP from the console. The m0n0wall LAN IP can not be
> pinged from the LAN, and the Web GUI can't be reached from the LAN. On the
> console, it throws Watchdog Timeouts on the interfaces.

Most likely either a BIOS bug that wasn't previously causing problems
or a FreeBSD driver regression. On the former, upgrade your BIOS if
possible. For the latter, you'll likely need to try a stock FreeBSD
6.3 on the box and make sure you can still replicate the issue, then
report to freebsd dash net at freebsd dot org with details on what you're seeing.
m0n0wall essentially just wraps a GUI around FreeBSD, hence network
driver issues have to be fixed there first and then make their way
into m0n0wall.

-Chris