[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michael Brown <knightmb at knightmb dot dyndns dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Captive Portal forgets about an authenticated user after a while
 Date:  Sun, 11 May 2008 18:44:20 -0500
Hi All,
I have m0n0wall 1.231 in which one LAN interface is for inside company
related stuff and the second LAN2 (or option, whatever you like to call
it) uses the captive portal. Captive Portal works like it should. I'm
using the local user management since it's only a few users to worry
about.  The problem we have is that someone hits the captive portal,
authenticates, it all works great. Then they shutoff their computer long
enough that their DHCP lease runs out (2 hours or so). They power the
computer back up, and it gets a new (or most of the time) same IP
address. They try to web surf and it's blocked as though they have not
been authenticated by the captive portal. They never get a screen to
authenticate, it's just like all access is blocked and nothing happens.
When I check the captive portal status page, it says they are logged in,
even has the matching IP address and Mac address. But I have to use the
status page to "disconnect" them and then all of a sudden, the captive
portal page comes up again, they authenticate and everything works fine
again.

Any ideas why the captive portal "forgets" about their computer after a
few hours of inactivity?  Currently, captive portal is set to keep them
authenticated for at least 1 day and if no activity, it logs them out.
That all seems to work fine as far as the login expiring like it should.
It's just the idle time in between the captive portal seems go weird on
things.

Any info or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael