[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michael Brown <knightmb at knightmb dot dyndns dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Nintendo Wii and M0n0wall
 Date:  Fri, 25 Apr 2008 13:41:44 -0500
Hi,
Has anyone had any issues connecting a Nintendo Wii from behind a
m0n0wall system? I have a fairly straight forward setup. I have a
m0n0wall with a static IP, and on the LAN side basic DHCP with NAT. Any
workstation on the LAN connects to the internet just fine. No port
blocking or anything like that for Internet access. I've read the
Nintendo wii site about which ports outbound need to work, but nothing
is blocked outbound. Basically, the wii system connects, gets an IP
address, and then tries to connect with the Nintendo service, but it
also gets a firewall error. If I take the same Wii system and use it's
wireless to connect to a neighbors unsecured hotspot, it is able to
connect to the service just fine. The neighbor is using a linksys router
(open of course with a SSID of "linksys"), so I know the wii can do it's
thing from behind one firewall (over wireless), but it won't do the same
from behind a m0n0wall firewall.

I've tried turning on "fragmented packets" on the LAN side just to see
if it would make a difference, but no change. I've tried the "disable
port mapping" feature of m0n0wall to see if that would make a
difference, but no change.

Hopefully someone has encountered this before and can share some insight.

Thanks all!
Michael