[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  mtnbkr <waa dash m0n0wall at revpol dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Recover config.xml from config.cache
 Date:  Thu, 15 May 2008 08:49:47 -0400
- gpg control packet
Chris Buechler wrote:
| On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 3:19 AM, Guy Widloecher
| <guy dot widloecher at gmail dot com> wrote:
|> Bill and Aaron,
|>
|> Thank you for your answers, but the pages like /status.php or
|> /diag_backup.php are no longer available due to the diskette failure: the
|> script hangs while accessing to the /conf/config.xml file (for
instance the
|> line $fd = @fopen("/conf/config.xml", "r"); in status.php).
|>
|> So I only found the way to recover by using config.cache as explained
|> before.
|>

| Yeah it is absolutely possible to lose your config other than the
| cache, when you're using a floppy. I'll stop short of a rant on how
| terribly unreliable floppy disks are (just search this list archive
| for proof).  :)
|
| Guy, thanks for the tip, I marked this as a "to document" item for
| future inclusion in the docs.
|
| -Chris

Would it be a nice feature add to possibly keep the config.xml file
'readily' accessible in a location other than on the physical storage
medium?   Kind of like how the Linux kernel allows you to access the
.config file that created it by zcat'ting the /proc/config.gz pseudo file?

It would surely help in situations like Guy's...

I generally download my client's CURRENT config.xml to a local drive
that is included in my nightly tape backups when ever I make even the
smallest change, but the option might be helpful to some - or even me
when I am on-site somewhere without access to my system(s). :)

Just a thought.

--
Bill Arlofski
Reverse Polarity, LLC