[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  Harald Sauff <harald dot sauff at tu dash harburg dot de>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 1.3b11 config-file problem
 Date:  Thu, 15 May 2008 23:30:54 +0200
On 15.05.2008, at 16:33, Harald Sauff wrote:

> right now I have a DELL PowerEdge 1750 running m0n0wall 1.233 from a
> CD-ROM, saving its config on a floppy drive.
>
> To decrease reboot time and increase reliability I wanted to switch
> to a harddisk installation. So I booted the system from a linux CD
> and wrote the image of 1.3b11 to the harddisk.
> I removed all CDs and the floppy disk, and rebooted. The 1.3b11 came
> up without a problem, but at one point an error message came up that
> said something like "can't find config.xml" (or "can't access...") -
> unfortunately I didn't write the exact message down, because I had
> to reboot into the 1.233 again to reestablish connectivity for my
> users...

Sounds like the FreeBSD kernel didn't detect your disk (controller).
Did you spot any kernel messages that would indicate that it found
your server's SCSI controller (and I just blindly assume you've got
SCSI disks in that server ;), or device da0 (first SCSI disk)?

Also, if that server has a spare PATA slot where you can fit in an
IDE<->CF adapter, you're probably better off using that instead of
HDs...

- Manuel