[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michael Brown <knightmb at knightmb dot dyndns dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Nintendo Wii and M0n0wall
 Date:  Fri, 25 Apr 2008 14:38:30 -0500
Hi Ryan,
Thanks for the tips. I found a wii network testing tool in the Nintendo
support site. Had to fire up IE on a laptop to test, but it passed all
the connection test going straight through m0n0wall. I was watching the
m0n0wall firewall states, and could see it hitting the Nintendo site
through many UDP and TCP ports during the test. So as far as I can tell,
m0n0wall isn't so much the issue anymore. I wish I could figure out why
the Wii will not go through it. The open linksys router down the street
might have UPnP enabled, so that might be why it goes straight through
it without issues, but as it has been said, I'm not a fan of the UPnP
either, and as far as I can tell it shouldn't be necessary for the Wii
to function since it only goes with outbound connections (no inbound as
far as I know and from some google searching).

I haven't tried linking my laptop with the Wii and having it go through
the shared connection yet, so if that works, I'll be sure to post it
here for all to know in case anyone else encounters this issue.

Thanks!
Michael