[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Tim Nelson <tnelson at rockbochs dot com>
 To:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Kernel Panic on Boot... Help?
 Date:  Wed, 21 May 2008 20:43:45 -0500 (CDT)
Well... after some various testing, reburning of flash cards, etc... here is the synopsis:

Monowall 1.3b11 - crashes on boot
Monowall 1.233 - boots, passes traffic, works perfectly with no problems
pfSense 1.2-RELEASE - boots, acts a bit flakey, shows resource errors in the logs, possibly due to
low ram (128MB)
pfSense 1.2-RELEASE(6.3 Base) - boots OK until it's time to mount the root file system at which
point it fails. There seems to be an error related to the disk controller. Carsten Holbach said "2)
Beware: The latest version of m0n0wall has problems with the IDE controller in the Neoware NE2000,
at least.". It is likely that this is the root of the boot problem on this EON6000S...

So, it appears that this box will be running 1.233. I'm glad that monowall will run on it as it has
a lighter footprint and much faster boot times over it's later counterpart. If anyone is interested
in further exploring problems with the 6.2 vs 6.3 issue, I'm happy to lend my time and box. If full
logs are needed, please let me know.

Thank you all for the help and suggestions!

Tim Nelson
Systems/Network Support
Rockbochs Inc.