[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  mtnbkr <waa dash m0n0wall at revpol dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Problem with floppy image under VMWare
 Date:  Mon, 19 May 2008 09:25:23 -0400
Manuel, I posted a comment last January regarding the VMWare virtual
floppy drive not working with m0n0wall v1.3b2 under VMWare Workstation-5.5

Here's the original post:
http://m0n0.ch/wall/list/showmsg.php?id=305/99

Screenshot here:
http://www.revpol.com/images/m0n0wall-1.3b-vmware.png

Somewhere along the line I found a working combination:
m0n0wall 1.3b7 under a VMWare Workstation v5.5 virtual machine

So, m0n0wall v1.3b7 has been working fine under a VMWare Worksation
version 5.5 virtual machine - using VMWare workstation software 6.x.

Completely forgetting about that issue, I pointed my m0n0wall VMware
image's CDROM at the newest beta 1.3b11.iso cdrom image this weekend and
my memory was refreshed as the same problem came up. :)

I did a little more testing:

1. I upgraded the m0n0wall VMWare virtual machine hardware to VMWare
    workstation 6.x
2. Downloaded m0n0wall CDROM images v1.3b8, v1.3b9, and v1.3b10
3. Tried each image in order...

Results?  The floppy image is properly accessed and the m0n0wall
configuration is read fine with v1.3b7, 1.3b8 and 1.3b9. The problem
starts again with version 1.3b10 - see screenshot - The only difference
is the error = 6 rather than the error = 5 shown in the older screen shot.

Any thoughts?   Is this a FreeBSD issue, a m0n0wall issue, or a VMWare
issue?

I'd like to continue to track the latest versions of m0n0wall in my test
environments so solving this mystery would be helpful.

--
Bill Arlofski
Reverse Polarity, LLC