[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Tarun Kundhi <tkundhi at inebraska dot com>
 To:  Trevor Merrill <trevor dot merrill at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Help with setup
 Date:  Sun, 25 May 2008 17:08:01 -0500
Trevor,

Are you trying to ping the external ip from your LAN? If so I don't
think that will work. It doesn't on 1.2x. We have a similar setup but
we've put the external servers in a DMZ. Sorry I don't know what your
problem is but here is how I tested/implemented our setup after failing
to get everything working initially.

First I set up my WAN x.x.x.x /27, LAN (192.168.1.x) & DMZ
(192.168.10.x). For firewall rules I started with 2 rules: LAN access to
everywhere, DMZ access to everywhere except LAN, no WAN rules.

1. verify you can get to Internet from LAN
2. verify you can get to DMZ servers from LAN (via ip, if you must use a
domain name add entries to DNS forwarder)
3. verify a DMZ server can get to the Internet
4. verify you can't get from DMZ to LAN

If you can't do all of the above then the problem is with your basic
setup. General setup, DHCP, basic firewall or DNS. If it is working
continue...

Now add a NAT 1:1 setting for one of the DMZ servers (Allow m0n0wall to
create the Proxy ARP automatically for you). Next add a WAN firewall
rule allowing external access from any ip & any port to the internal DMZ
address of the web server for port 80 only (do same for HTTPS if
needed). Remember it is the any source host, any source port & the
internal ip destination & the internal ip port. Now test inbound WAN
access from an external ip. If it works replicate configuration for the
other servers. If it doesn't relax the WAN firewall rule to permit all
ports from WAN to all port on internal DMZ ip. This will help you
determine if it is your firewall rules or your NAT settings. Also make
sure you don't have a firewall running on your server that in improperly
configured. If you are running a firewall on the server turn it off for
testing.

Note, I assigned my servers their internal ips by DHCP. But added static
entries based upon their MAC address to the Service: DHCP server page.
This way they are static but get their DNS information forwarded to them
by m0n0wall and I'm not managing their DNS separately. I have DNS
forwarded enabled.  I also use aliases to make firewall rule
configuration easier.

Starting over and testing at each step may be fastest. It was for me
when I first deployed this setup. I'm not a experience network
administrator but was able to use this approach to set up m0n0wall with
4 local subnets, LAN, PBX, DMZ, GUEST, plus traffic shaping and point to
point VPN from our main office to 4 remote offices.

HTH,

t.