[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Phil Brutsche <phil at brutsche dot us>
 To:  Holger Bauer <Holger dot Bauer at citec dash ag dot de>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Problem forcing speed and duplex mode (in 1.233 as well as in 1.3b11)
 Date:  Wed, 28 May 2008 18:02:54 -0500
If you can't hard-code the speed and duplex on both sides of the
ethernet link you shouldn't do it at all. If you do, you're setting
yourself up for reliability and performance problems.

What you are describing (host forced to 100 full, switch set to
auto-negotiate and deciding to use 100 half) is exactly what the
Ethernet specification says should happen when two ethernet devices are
unable to use N-Way autonegotiation.

The best thing to do would be to set the switch port properly, but if
the ISP won't help the only real solution you have is to leave the
Soekris at it's defaults, which are to auto-negotiate the link parameters.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche dot us