[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Peter Teunissen <lists at onemanifest dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] ADSL Modem Recommendations
 Date:  Thu, 29 May 2008 22:35:01 +0200
On 29-mei-2008, at 15:27, Paul Rae wrote:

> I have new install here and and have a couple of questions
>
> 1. Its currently using a BT branded 2700 router (I believe this a
> 2Wire 2700
> router) and we were told it supported half bridge / full bridge
> mode. I for
> the life of me cannot see anyway of setting this up so I can use it
> as a
> modem only and then keep the existing m0n0wall router in place.
> Does anyone
> know how to set this up using this router?
> 2. Failing that (and probably the quickest and easies option) can you
> recommend a ADSL modem that can operate in half bridge mode.

FWIW, I've used two soho asdl routers in bridged mode without any
problems:

- Speedtouch/Thomson ST780 WL: takes some doing to get it bridged and
the
    wireless turned of, but it can be done. There's plenty of docs
available
    to figure it out. During my short tests it worked without
problems. Setup
    really comes down to flushing all settings (NAT, fw, wlan etc)
and creating
    the bridge between you wan connection of choice and the lan port.
- Zyxel Prestige 650R-31: bridge setup is easy as a pea, almost as
simple as
   setting 'bridge=yes'  It has been running flawlessly for years.

BTW, I'm on a RFC1483/EthoA network, so no experience with PPPoA or
PPPoE.
My routers simply phone home over ATM and put the LAN port directly on
the internet. So YMMV.

Peter