[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Mark Rinaudo" <mark at preferreddatasolutions dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Configuration / Limitation of m0n0wall
 Date:  Sun, 1 Jun 2008 21:14:07 -0500
Well here goes my issue. I've searched through the mailing list archives but I haven't found
anything quite like my setup.

Here's a diagram of what I'm talking about

                Wan
m0n0wall
                Lan
                OPT4 (10.10.10.1 vlan*) <---------------------------------> Wan (10.10.10.2)

              [Customer's Router/Firewall]

                                                         Lan ( *.*.*.*/27)

I had a customer that wanted to run his own router/firewall for his own /27 of public IP's.
Now I only have a /24 so in order to route to him a /27 without using anymore public IP's up, I
setup an opt interface on the LAN interface with a private address and had the customer setup a
corresponding address so that his router could talk to the interface on M0n0wall.  Well after
getting everything setup incoming worked like a charm. I could access his router's public ip which
fell on the Lan side of his router and I could access his /27 going through the m0n0wall and the
customer's router.  However outgoing access from one of the customers servers sitting on the /27
would not work. I put a rule on the opt interface to allow everything through but for some reason
m0n0wall was still blocking the traffic which was seen in the logs.  So i went to the status.php
page
and took a look at the rules that were running and found something very interesting.  I guess at
some point m0n0wall put an allow for all traffic for the 10.10.10.0/24 network since that was the
subnet for that OPT interface and then it denied everything else.  Now I did see in the FAQ about
disabling NAT which I did but this was a firewall issue because i could see that it was blocking it.
 I'm thinking the problem stems from M0n0wall only expecting traffic from the subnet 10.10.10.0/24
and not from any other network and especially not from a public /27.  So after manually adding a
rule
in m0n0wall to also allow traffic from that /27 through the OPT interface it finally worked.  I
guess my question is, is there any way to save that custom rule so m0n0wall won't delete it any time
I change the rules on that interface, and could this be a new feature request for future M0n0wall's
to allow public IP's to be routed through private LAN interfaces. I'm running m0n0wall v 1.231

Thanks
Mark