[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "apiasecki at midatlanticbb dot com" <apiasecki at midatlanticbb dot com>
 To:  daniele dot guazzoni at gcomm dot ch
 Cc:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] deny certain mac address from getting an ip?
 Date:  Mon, 16 Jun 2008 21:06:48 -0400
I had a situation where this would have helped me.

We had two DHCP Servers on the same physical network. Granted vlans
would have been the way to go, but we did not have vlan aware switches.
So, the only thing preventing me from running it all on the same vlan
was the DHCP server.  Both networks needed to get DHCP address's. One
network was full of random laptop and devices. The other network was a
bunch of Cable Modems. Because all the cable modems are made from the
same manufacture, they all have the same starting range for the mac
address.

So one DHCP server would be set to deny all MAC address's from cable
modem range
The other would be set to only allow the cable modem MAC range.

I heard that some DHCP servers can do this.

Adam