[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Rhys Frederick" <rhys dot frederick at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  NetBIOS broadcast forwarding
 Date:  Wed, 25 Jun 2008 15:48:51 +1000
Hi all,

apologies if this has been answered before. A search of the archives
reveals plenty of related queries, but i've yet to stumble upon a
solution.

I am unfortunately having to deal with the inadequacies of MS's
NetBIOS browsing implementation. For those of you lucky enough not to
know it, in simple terms finding peers and servers is performed by
sending a broadcast packet to UDP 137. Fine if everything is on the
same subnet, not so fine for anything more.

In my setup servers are firewalled from clients via m0n0wall on a
soekris 5501 (as it happens these two subnets are actually 2 VLANs on
the same interface, but guessing that doesn't help). Obvious problem
is that clients cannot find the servers (broadcast packets are dropped
at the firewall as it is not usual to route them). That said, this is
such a common problem that many routers support routing UDP 137
broadcast packets. I'm wondering if there is any way m0n0wall can be
configured to do the same. FYI, I'm using m0n0wall 1.3b11.

Alas I cannot use WINS as some of the clients are simple appliances
with no WINS support - it's netBIOS browsing or nothing.....

Any help much appreciated.

cheers,

rhys