[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "David Meireles | InforChannel, Lda" <dmeireles at inforchannel dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] NetBIOS broadcast forwarding
 Date:  Wed, 25 Jun 2008 23:42:58 +0100
Sorry, didn't noticed your first point about being appliances... Well, besides the broadcast, one
other way to resolve names in NetBIOS was using it's "dns" service, the WINS. I supose that those
appliances, if they support NetBIOS, must have a place to enter a WINS server, and for now, I think
that using a wins server is the only way to solve your problem... Even if you could forward the
netbios broadcasts, I don't think it would work, since that system was made for name resolution (or
in practical terms, discovery) on the same subnet, and you want to make the discover in diferent
subnets.