[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] VLANs not really working ?
 Date:  Fri, 4 Jul 2008 00:07:46 -0400
On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 7:02 PM, Michel Servaes <michel at mcmc dot be> wrote:
> I haven't figured it out yet, but I guess that when I tell you guys I am
> using for both LAN & LAN2 a Realtek 8169 card, you'll tell me to toss out
> those cards...

Yep, my first guess when I glanced at your first message earlier was
you're using Realtek NICs.

> They always worked fine, even now, but they just might not be good enough
> for VLAN tagging, right ?
>
> I browsed a bit further on some forums, and found on the pfSense one, a guy
> who switched to Intel NICs (after trying the Realtek8169) suddenly has a
> working VLAN setup... so possibly I'm facing the same thing here... it's odd
> though, that it does work somehow, but not completely... I'd reccon that
> such a setup would either work, or completely not work...

You're probably either seeing the common flakiness of some Realtek
cards, or have a card that doesn't properly support VLAN tagging. The
latter can create a PMTUD black hole, causing packets over a certain
size to silently disappear. Get some Intel Pro/100 or Pro/1000 cards
and your problem likely goes away.

-Chris