[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "David Burgess" <apt dot get at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Monowall Support List" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  voip on OPT1 no-go
 Date:  Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:32:48 -0600
I feel silly about this, like I must be missing something. My voip phone is
MCGP rather than SIP. If I plug it into the switch on m0n0's LAN network it
gets an IP and works fine.

If I plug it directly into the OPT1 interface it gets an IP address but
won't function. I created a rule based on the default LAN rule, i.e., Allow
OPT1 subnet -> any. The firewall states pages shows three persistent
connections:

1. port 2427 to my provider
2. port 69 to my provider
3. port 123 to 204.152.184.72<https://192.168.1.254:444/diag_ipfstat.php?dfilter=204.152.184.72>

The first can be observed at any time while the voip is functioning normally
on the LAN. The next two can be seen during startup of the voip device under
normal operation but then expire within a couple minutes. For some reason
they're staying alive while the voip phone is plugged into OPT1 and not
functioning.

One other thing worth mentioning is that the voip device's WAN port is only
capable of 10mbps half-duplex. When it is connected to OPT1 m0n0's interface
status page shows OPT1 as 10baseT/? I forget what the ? represents because
my wife uses the phone for business and I don't have the luxury of plugging
the device back into the OPT1 port for now.

I have tried using different network cards for OPT1. I tried a couple SMC
cards which m0n0 assigned the dc driver. I also tried a realtek-based card
which I know to be working. (Not sure about the SMCs, they wouldn't work as
the WAN either, the link light just flashed and it never connected.)

Any idea why the voip device connects to the internet from the OPT1 port but
won't provide phone service, while it seems to work fine from LAN?

Thanks,
db