[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  Mikael Bak <mikael at t dash online dot hu>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] generic-pc vs. wrap images?
 Date:  Mon, 14 Jul 2008 19:19:00 +0200
On 14.07.2008, at 10:05, Mikael Bak wrote:

> Now reading on the list I see that perhaps I should have used the wrap
> image instead.

Yes, the 1.3b wrap image is the right one to use for ALIX. I've just
added a little JS to the beta download page to help people choose.

> Could someone please explain to me what the differences are between
> the
> generic-pc and the wrap images. I'm using the beta version of m0n0wall
> on this board.

The kernel in the wrap images has fewer options/drivers in it (things
that aren't needed on WRAP/ALIX) and is thus smaller.  Also, the wrap
image has some extra features (making the on-board button behave as a
configuration reset button when pressed during boot; code to change
sisX interface names to vrX if needed). I've been thinking about
merging all the different images into one - which would sacrifice
about 2.5 MB of RAM on the embedded platforms though.

- Manuel