[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Marcel Wiget" <mwiget at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Ulrik Lunddahl (PROconsult)" <ul at proconsult dot dk>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] M0N0wall and VMware.
 Date:  Thu, 17 Jul 2008 16:18:16 +0200
Some time ago I consolidated all my servers in my home office on a
vmware 3i server with 3 physical interfaces, including m0n0wall for
WAN connectivity and DMZ. Reduced my electricity bill nicely while
running around 15 active VM's (from windows XP to freebsd 4 and 6 to
openbsd, Askozia and CCM6 plus some proprietary servers as well), but
now all on a single server.

There are probably security issues with such a  setup, particularly if
one configures the virtual switches wrong, but that also holds true
for VLAN's.

BTW I started with an old vmware version of m0n0wall from Chris:
http://chrisbuechler.com/m0n0wall/vmware/

then upgraded them using the generic-pc version to the latest 1.3b13.

I'm pretty happy with the setup.

Marcel

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 3:42 PM, Ulrik Lunddahl (PROconsult)
<ul at proconsult dot dk> wrote:
> Well the traffic shaper is not needed, but I was actually thinking about using it in a production
environment.

> I run some Virtual machines I would like to protect from the general environment, and instead of
using VLAN and an external m0n0wall box. It would be nice and simple to add a few m0n0's to the HA
environment.

> Does anyone else have experience with m0n0 on ESX 3.5 ?
>

> Med venlig hilsen, Best regards
> Ulrik Lunddahl
>
> Sales Manager - Salgschef

> Tel: +45 63113333 - Tel dir: +45 63113341 - Mobil: +45 26363341 - Fax: +45 63113344
> E-mail: ul at proconsult dot dk - Web site: www.proconsult.dk

calculated wrong in some instances. haven't tested it thoroughly tho.