[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  waa dash m0n0wall at revpol dot com
 Cc:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Beta 1.3b13 released
 Date:  Thu, 17 Jul 2008 20:26:11 +0200
On 16.07.2008, at 23:19, mtnbkr wrote:

> Is there any chance that m0n0wall is mis-detecting or misreporting
> this, or is more probable that I replaced their WRAP with an ALIX
> after a semi-recent thunderstorm and just don't remember?   :)

Yes, that's quite possible, because m0n0wall simply looks for the
string "PC Engines WRAP" in the dmesg output to decide that it's
running on a WRAP. I didn't realize than on some (early?) boards, the
BIOS does not set that string, but that's quite clearly the case:

> On the one reporting as a WRAP, the next line is:
> Geode PC Engines WRAP.1C v1.0 tintinyBIOS V1.4a (C)1997-2003
>
> And on the one reporting as an ALIX the next line is:
> Geode tinyBIOS V1.4a (C)1997-2003

-> Funny that they're both the same BIOS version...

I guess you'll simply have to upgrade the BIOS to make it show the
proper platform. Or if this becomes a widespread problem, we'll have
to make the status page look at something else (e.g. NIC names) instead.

- Manuel