[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Bill Arlofski <waa dash m0n0wall at revpol dot com>
 To:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Beta 1.3b13 released
 Date:  Thu, 17 Jul 2008 14:55:17 -0400
Manuel Kasper wrote:
> On 16.07.2008, at 23:19, mtnbkr wrote:
>
>> Is there any chance that m0n0wall is mis-detecting or misreporting
>> this, or is more probable that I replaced their WRAP with an ALIX
>> after a semi-recent thunderstorm and just don't remember?   :)
>
> Yes, that's quite possible, because m0n0wall simply looks for the string
> "PC Engines WRAP" in the dmesg output to decide that it's running on a
> WRAP. I didn't realize than on some (early?) boards, the BIOS does not
> set that string, but that's quite clearly the case:
>
>> On the one reporting as a WRAP, the next line is:
>> Geode PC Engines WRAP.1C v1.0 tintinyBIOS V1.4a (C)1997-2003
>>
>> And on the one reporting as an ALIX the next line is:
>> Geode tinyBIOS V1.4a (C)1997-2003
>
> -> Funny that they're both the same BIOS version...

Actually I thought it was funny that the older bios was misspelled or
something: "tintinyBIOS V1.4a (C)1997-2003"

tintiny?  :)

> I guess you'll simply have to upgrade the BIOS to make it show the
> proper platform. Or if this becomes a widespread problem, we'll have to
> make the status page look at something else (e.g. NIC names) instead.

Fair enough. I have  not looked yet, but if I can find a newer BIOS at
pcengines for the older boards I'll grab it and flash that board.

I'll report back when I have more info.

Thanks again for the fast reply.

--
Bill Arlofski