[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  monowall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] SMB over IPSEC...
 Date:  Wed, 23 Jul 2008 11:06:24 -0400
On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 10:47 AM, Tim Nelson <tnelson at rockbochs dot com> wrote:
> Actual bandwidth between sites is very good at about 1mbit and latency is around 100ms. FTP
traffic through the IPSEC tunnel hits at least 700k or so...

It's all about latency, bandwidth is largely irrelevant as long as you
have broadband on both ends. 100ms is high.

Try dropping MTU on client and server machines and see what happens.
That might improve things, but you will never see good SMB performance
at 100 ms latency. At least what I would consider good, which would be
near LAN performance.

-Chris