[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jeroen Mulder <jaj dot mulder at hotmail dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  setting up hotspot
 Date:  Mon, 4 Aug 2008 22:29:56 +0200
Hi,

I have been struggling with this for over a week now.
Also i must say I am no network expert.

Starting from this article I tried to setup a captive portal.

http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=704315

I did as described but I couldn't get it to work.
In this article I also don't understand how one could get an ipaddress from the WAN side but anyway.

This is what I tried (and want to achieve)

internet----modem (sip spoof) ---- WAN snb6500 router LAN 192.168.1.100 ------WAN m0n0wall
LAN-----AP

I have read the mailing list before and I have seen suggestions of connecting m0n0wall directly to
the modem.
I don't want this. I don't want to change existing infra structure. I only want to add monowall and
an AP

I tried all kind of stuff
Swapping WAN and LAN, different subnets for LAN connected to AP. Nothing seems to work
When I look at the interface part of monowall I see no IP address assigned on one side . I thought
my snb6500 router would distribute an IP to the monowall but it doesn't ?? (yes dhcp is on in
router) I do get an address from mono when connecting to the AP (called hotspot)

What am I missing. Is it that hard to set up a hotspot ??

Or am I really doing stupid things here ?

regards,

J Mulder

Ps running version 1.233 livecd