[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michel Servaes <michel at mcmc dot be>
 To:  monowall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] tftp server for small files
 Date:  Tue, 05 Aug 2008 02:19:41 +0200

I agree, but since monowall has so much features (and I am kind of keen
using monowall at home), I just liked to have such a feature (not
tomorrow, not next month - just wanted to know if adding a tftp service
would cause much hassle or not - can I add tftp-server myself on
monowall using exec.php ??)
Sure, I can add tftp service to a Win or Linux box, hook up some vmwares
too... but when serving a small application (either sip boot packages
for sip, or boot packages for a PXE enabled device for booting linux
would be just that nifty that no normal router can offer)

btw. pfSense doesn't have an tftp package either (I use monowall at
home, and pfSense at the office).

apiasecki at midatlanticbb dot com wrote:
| I was always under the assumption that m0n0wall was designed for
limited number of features, and for embedded devices.
| I guess the theory is "The less stuff running, the less chance for
system crashes, ect"

| I could see pfSense being more geared towards this. Maybe a tftp
server package.

| Adam
|
| Michel Servaes wrote:
| I have no programming skills whatsoever, but today I stumbled upon an
intresting PXE image namely from thinstation.net
| It seems you can load this image into a tftp server, point your DHCP
to that file, and every PXE able computer would boot the thinstation
client...

| I already tried the LiveCD of thinstation, and this looks very
promising... if I can make monowall also serve some small files over
tftp (stored in ram, when booting), it would reduce a computer just
serving these tftp files...

| Maybe the question already has been asked, maybe no-one thought about
expanding this functionality, but it would be really cool to be able to
serve small files this way... (i think)

| maybe someone can explain me why this isn't intresting, currently I am
going to fool around with a free tftp server on a Win2003 server... to
see if I can make it work anyway...