[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michel Servaes <michel at mcmc dot be>
 To:  monowall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] tftp server for small files
 Date:  Tue, 05 Aug 2008 02:30:14 +0200

Correcting myself... went on googling a bit, and went on searching
FreeBSD integration of tftpd...
When I found out about the location of the whereabouts of tftpd, it
seems pfSense already has tftpd in that same location... this might be
intresting, but I don't really want to leave monowall.
Going to put a pfSense in virtualbox, to fool around a bit...

Michel Servaes wrote:
| I agree, but since monowall has so much features (and I am kind of
keen using monowall at home), I just liked to have such a feature (not
tomorrow, not next month - just wanted to know if adding a tftp service
would cause much hassle or not - can I add tftp-server myself on
monowall using exec.php ??)
| Sure, I can add tftp service to a Win or Linux box, hook up some
vmwares too... but when serving a small application (either sip boot
packages for sip, or boot packages for a PXE enabled device for booting
linux would be just that nifty that no normal router can offer)

| btw. pfSense doesn't have an tftp package either (I use monowall at
home, and pfSense at the office).

| apiasecki at midatlanticbb dot com wrote:
| | I was always under the assumption that m0n0wall was designed for
limited number of features, and for embedded devices.
| | I guess the theory is "The less stuff running, the less chance for
system crashes, ect"
| |
| | I could see pfSense being more geared towards this. Maybe a tftp
server package.
| |
| | Adam
| |
| | Michel Servaes wrote:
| | I have no programming skills whatsoever, but today I stumbled upon
an intresting PXE image namely from thinstation.net
| | It seems you can load this image into a tftp server, point your DHCP
to that file, and every PXE able computer would boot the thinstation
client...
| |
| | I already tried the LiveCD of thinstation, and this looks very
promising... if I can make monowall also serve some small files over
tftp (stored in ram, when booting), it would reduce a computer just
serving these tftp files...
| |
| |
| | Maybe the question already has been asked, maybe no-one thought
about expanding this functionality, but it would be really cool to be
able to serve small files this way... (i think)
| |
| |
| | maybe someone can explain me why this isn't intresting, currently I
am going to fool around with a free tftp server on a Win2003 server...
to see if I can make it work anyway...