[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "apiasecki at midatlanticbb dot com" <apiasecki at midatlanticbb dot com>
 To:  Michael Pope <spotnruby at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Traffic Shaping on Network Perimeter Device
 Date:  Fri, 08 Aug 2008 11:36:45 -0400
Most traffic shaping is between the WAN and the LAN Interface. Traffic
shaping can also only be done with traffic leaving the interface.(WAN
Interface=Upload Shaping, LAN Interface=Download Shaping)

Most of the time, you set priorities for traffic, so for example. VoIP
always has bandwidth available, while an FTP upload can be dropped at
anytime.

I don't know how m0n0wall does traffic shaping, but for pfSense this
document explained it pretty well.

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/queueing.html

Adam