[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  sylikc <sylikc at gmail dot com>
 To:  "apiasecki at midatlanticbb dot com" <apiasecki at midatlanticbb dot com>
 Cc:  "Michael Pope" <spotnruby at gmail dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Traffic Shaping on Network Perimeter Device
 Date:  Tue, 12 Aug 2008 15:30:06 -0700
Michael,

Traffic shaping at the perimeter level is great for instances like your
standard capped broadband line.  By lowering the priority of high bandwidth
uploading (BitTorrent, P2P, etc), you can increase the response time of your
other applications, like web surfing.  The magic shaper is configured to set
it up that way.

Shaping throughout the network is useful only if the traffic on the network
has already exceeded the capacity available.  Say, if you have a 1Gbit
internal trunk between two routers, and the trunk is totally saturated, then
shaping traffic before hitting the trunk would be healthy.  For most of us,
a few computers can rarely saturate the line.

That's why mostly, shaping is done on the perimeter, where the LAN traffic
exceeds the capabilities of the WAN line.  Any shaping done should feedback
to the internal nodes to slow down (I don't recall how traffic shaping's
implemented), and in essence, help control the flow through the pipe.

/sylikc