[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  David Brooke <dave at metahusky dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  IPv6 tunnel configuration
 Date:  Wed, 13 Aug 2008 12:38:42 +0100
With the release of 1.3b13 I was able to change my Alix based firewall
from a home-brew (Voyage Linux based) solution to m0n0wall and I've been
very happy with it. Thanks to all involved.

I just had a couple of minor comments on the tunnel setup:

I use a tunnel only to get past my ADSL router and my ISP does not
require a global IPv6 address at my end of the tunnel. However the
m0n0wall interface IPv6 configuration requires that I provide one.

The gif0 mtu defaults to 1280 whereas 1480 is possible for IPv6 in IPv4.
I also found this comment which has some background information:
http://www.mavetju.org/mail/view_message.php?list=freebsd-net&id=987956

I have used ifconfig from exec.php to remove the address and increase
the mtu and all appears to work fine with settings like:

gif0: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1480
	tunnel inet 81.xx.xx.150 --> 81.xx.xx.6
	inet6 fe80::20d:b9ff:fexx:xxxx%gif0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x6

It would be nice for the web GUI to allow this configuration.

Thanks,

David