[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michel Servaes <michel at mcmc dot be>
 To:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall + Captive portal + 20 AP's setup question
 Date:  Fri, 15 Aug 2008 20:42:16 +0200
Yves,

We install several homes with the setup you are asking for.
Most of the time, we provide LANCOM products, who are capable of
roaming, and have a PoE onboard... which saves time on installing (and
when things go wrong, you just have to power-cycle the switch giving
power over the ethernet cables).

We use the same SSID on all AP's, the channels are being chosen so that
AP1 & AP3 have the same channel, but AP2 another (given the fact that
all three AP's are on one line ofcourse), if you have the same channel
on AP1 & AP2, you could cause some interference... nothing spectacular
for data, but it might give you some problems for VOIP...
Since you have several floors, signals from AP1 might interfere with
signals on AP11 (11 being on the second floor, and AP1 on the first floor)

This is not in combination with any monowall or pfsense, but just plain
on itself... I still am evaluating monowall/pfsense for customer
deployment...

Maybe others have additional ideas or more constructive details for your
situation, but I feel that you are almost asking the same (with this
difference, that I don't use mono/pf at the customer yet).

Kind regards,
/MSe