[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Jewell, Michael" <mjewell at law dot umaryland dot edu>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall + Captive portal + 20 AP's setup question
 Date:  Fri, 15 Aug 2008 15:24:32 -0400
I would use the same SSID on all the AP's if you want to allow roaming.  If
the AP's are running encryption, then you might have to test if roaming works
properly with your AP's (you didn't specify brand, but I use Cisco AP1242
lightweight AP's here at work, but the principals are the same).

You should stick to the 3 non-overlapping channels (1,6,11).  I would not mix
the other channels in (2-5,7-10).  If you have problems with interference from
one AP to another,  check the AP settings and see if you can drop the power
output to shrink the bubble.  If the AP's have external antennas, you can get
attenuators to put in-line between the AP and antenna to accomplish the same
thing.

We use attenuators from http://www.tessco.com.

-Mike