[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F6nnblom_Jan=E5ke_?= /Teknous" <jan dash ake dot ronnblom at skeria dot skelleftea dot se>
 To:  " <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>"m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Cc:  "Jewell, Michael" <mjewell at law dot umaryland dot edu>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall + Captive portal + 20 AP's setup question
 Date:  Fri, 15 Aug 2008 21:56:04 +0200
Hi,

Using the same SSID everywhere would make it simpler both for your
customers and for you and it would also allow roaming between APs.

When it comes to channel planning I would either use the suggested 1,6,11
channels if it is possible. You probably have some APs on floor one and two
that can see each other which would make it hard with only three channels.
You could however use channel 1,4,7,11 or 1,4,8,11 with minimal overlapping
between channels. This would allow a much more flexible planning. You also
need to consider the odd neighbour that have their own AP or a neighbour
that will buy an AP and both will cause you problems and a need to adjust
your channel planning accordingly.

As always you need to go out there and measure the signal strength and
how much the walls in the building will absorb the signal.

Here is a great description of channels and overlapping:

http://www.wlanbook.com/slightly-overlapping-channels-wlans/
http://www.wlanbook.com/wireless-network-performance-channel-planning/

On our site we have around 30 APs and we use a 4 channel scheme with
minimal overlapping channels.

Channel planning is the closest thing to black magic that we have in the 21
century ;)

Good luck!

-J

YvesDM <ydmlog at gmail dot com> writes:
>Hi,
>
>First of all excuse me for this off topic post, but I know this list is as
>one full of people with lots of knowledge and experience in setting up
>(wireless) networks.
>So, to me it looked like the best place to fire my question.
>
>Here we go,
>
>We need to provide wireless acces in a residence with approx. 150 rooms.
>It's devided over 5 floors and we already provided utp cabling to 4 acces
>points per floor. (so a total of 20 acces points)
>All acces points are connected to a switch, which is also connected to a
>m0n0wall box.
>The m0n0wall does dhcp and runs the captive portal.
>
>Now the question.
>Should i only use the non-overlapping channels (1-6-11) and use slightly
>different ssid's on all AP's?
>Or should i use more then those 3 channels? (and also different ssid's)
>Or should I use only one channel and the same SSID on all AP's? (m0n0wall is
>the gateway for all of them anyway...)
>
>I hope someone can give me some good advice on this.
>
>Many thanks,
>Y.

Assistentgatan 23
931 77 Skelleftea (Sweden)
Phone  : +46-910-58 54 24
Mobile : 070-397 07 43
Fax    : +46-910-58 54 99
URL    : http://www.skelleftea.se
"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." --
Henry Spencer