[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  YvesDM <ydmlog at gmail dot com>
 To:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall + Captive portal + 20 AP's setup question
 Date:  Fri, 15 Aug 2008 21:59:30 +0200
On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 8:42 PM, Michel Servaes <michel at mcmc dot be> wrote:

> Yves,
>
> We install several homes with the setup you are asking for.
> Most of the time, we provide LANCOM products, who are capable of roaming,
> and have a PoE onboard... which saves time on installing (and when things go
> wrong, you just have to power-cycle the switch giving power over the
> ethernet cables).

Indeed :-)

> We use the same SSID on all AP's, the channels are being chosen so that AP1
> & AP3 have the same channel, but AP2 another (given the fact that all three
> AP's are on one line ofcourse), if you have the same channel on AP1 & AP2,
> you could cause some interference... nothing spectacular for data, but it
> might give you some problems for VOIP...
> Since you have several floors, signals from AP1 might interfere with
> signals on AP11 (11 being on the second floor, and AP1 on the first floor)

Yes, that's exactly what I'm scared of.
Ap's are placed in technical shafts, so 5 above each other, one for each
floor. So they are pretty close to each other actually, about 3 to 4m .
So I guess I was right sticky with 1-6-11 as channels, though this way I
will still have 2 times 2 AP's (in the same shaft) on the same channel.
I will spread them as far from each other as possibel of course.

> This is not in combination with any monowall or pfsense, but just plain on
> itself... I still am evaluating monowall/pfsense for customer deployment...

We use m0n0wall quite some time for customer deployment ;-)

> Maybe others have additional ideas or more constructive details for your
> situation, but I feel that you are almost asking the same (with this
> difference, that I don't use mono/pf at the customer yet).
>
> Kind regards,
> /MSe

Ok, many thanks for your input.
Kind regards,