[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Brian Lloyd <brian dash wb6rqn at lloyd dot com>
 To:  YvesDM <ydmlog at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall + Captive portal + 20 AP's setup question
 Date:  Fri, 15 Aug 2008 15:39:42 -0700
On Aug 15, 2008, at 1:04 PM, YvesDM wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the links, interesting!
> I guess I'll start with same ssid on all ap's,  3 non-overlapping
> channels
> and see what it all brings me.

You also want to use various antenna patterns to limit coverage
overlap between your APs. When a client is in the coverage area of two
or more APs, it ends up 'jamming' the APs with which it is not
associated.

When building an array of APs to serve a large area, use sectorized
antennas to focus the AP coverage where you want it. For example, you
can get 120 degree sectorized antennas with very narrow vertical
beamwidth in order to force an AP to serve only one floor in a building.

Optimizing the phy, i.e. proper frequency usage and focused antenna
patterns, will do more for making your AP mesh work properly than
anything you can do in software.

But software is important as well. You want to run spanning-tree
protocol in your APs so that when a client roams from one AP to
another, they all learn about the change in route.

Brian Lloyd
Granite Bay Montessori School          9330 Sierra College Bl
brian AT gbmontessori DOT com          Roseville, CA 95661
+1.916.367.2131 (voice)                +1.791.912.8170 (fax)

PGP key ID:          12095C52A32A1B6C
PGP key fingerprint: 3B1D BA11 4913 3254 B6E0  CC09 1209 5C52 A32A 1B6C