[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  YvesDM <ydmlog at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall + Captive portal + 20 AP's setup question
 Date:  Fri, 15 Aug 2008 18:22:00 -0500
YvesDM wrote:

> We need to provide wireless acces in a residence with approx. 150 rooms.
> It's devided over 5 floors and we already provided utp cabling to 4 acces
> points per floor. (so a total of 20 acces points)
> All acces points are connected to a switch, which is also connected to a
> m0n0wall box.

I have about 50 hotels I do WiFi for.  So this is hard won experience...
:)  Putting 4 APs on the second floor will cover floors 1-3.  I would
put 4 on floors 2 and 4 only, but use something with some punch like a
high powered, or Netgear WG-302s.  Many Windows clients only look at
SSID, so a frozen or disconnected AP will "take over" and there is
nothing they can do.  With SSIDs like "AON @ BestWestern 1" and so on,
they not only see the coverage, they can choose a further AP if they
have a problem.  (Like a bad microwave)  You will need to monitor the
APs as they love to hang.  I port forward high ports to each AP to allow
monitoring from a central site.  Survey the site for random D-link and
2wire123 SSIDs, usually on ch6.  I use channels 1,4,7,10 and 2,5,8,11
scattered for distance.

			Lee