[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  YvesDM <ydmlog at gmail dot com>
 To:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall + Captive portal + 20 AP's setup question
 Date:  Sat, 16 Aug 2008 09:22:53 +0200
On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 1:22 AM, Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org> wrote:

> I have about 50 hotels I do WiFi for.  So this is hard won experience... :)
>  Putting 4 APs on the second floor will cover floors 1-3.  I would put 4 on
> floors 2 and 4 only, but use something with some punch like a high powered,
> or Netgear WG-302s.  Many Windows clients only look at SSID, so a frozen or
> disconnected AP will "take over" and there is nothing they can do.  With
> SSIDs like "AON @ BestWestern 1" and so on, they not only see the coverage,
> they can choose a further AP if they have a problem.  (Like a bad microwave)
>  You will need to monitor the APs as they love to hang.  I port forward high
> ports to each AP to allow monitoring from a central site.  Survey the site
> for random D-link and 2wire123 SSIDs, usually on ch6.  I use channels
> 1,4,7,10 and 2,5,8,11 scattered for distance.
>
>                        Lee

Hi Lee,

The building I'm talking about is full of concrete loaded with iron, so
according to the tests I've done AP's on the second floor just won't be
enough to cover floors 1 and 3.
You do have a point saying windows boxes connecting to a frozen AP and loose
connectivity.
So, you also choose to use slightly different SSID's allowing clients to
choose which AP they 're connecting too, is this correct?
This makes me wondering if it's even necessary to allow clients to roam
automatically in this situation, coz most of the laptops will just sit still
in their rooms.

Kind regards,