[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 Cc:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall + Captive portal + 20 AP's setup question
 Date:  Sat, 16 Aug 2008 10:21:02 -0500
YvesDM wrote:

> The building I'm talking about is full of concrete loaded with iron, so
> according to the tests I've done AP's on the second floor just won't be
> enough to cover floors 1 and 3.
> You do have a point saying windows boxes connecting to a frozen AP and loose
> connectivity.
> So, you also choose to use slightly different SSID's allowing clients to
> choose which AP they 're connecting too, is this correct?
> This makes me wondering if it's even necessary to allow clients to roam
> automatically in this situation, coz most of the laptops will just sit still
> in their rooms.

I have never had a problem with a user calling in to connect in the
lobby to a different AP than from the room. :)

We have a standard deployment.  We start the IP addressing at x.x.x.20
and go up.  Then we NAT 10120 to .20 and so on.  The SSIDs are "AON @
(HotelBrand) 1" and so on.  That way if a customer say they are having
trouble at "AON @ HolidayExp 5" I know to look at 192.168.52.24, or the
firewall IP port 10124 to find them.  There is no question which is easier.

As to the range...  What AP did you test?  Some are junk.  Also, did you
use any kind of directional antenna?  Note that an 18db Omni can give
much grater range at the expense of vertical range, and may help if the
floors really are a barrier.  But I can't think of a single hotel we
have (and we have some old crappy hotels) where we don't get 2 or three
floors per AP.

			Lee