[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  the ryan ryan <theryanryan at hotmail dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Possible bug in traffic shaper?
 Date:  Thu, 21 Aug 2008 00:37:20 -0400
I currently Traffic Shape my home network by creating two separate Upload Pipes that together total
my actual upload speed. One Pipe is dedicated to VOIP traffic and the other to any remaining
traffic. This works terrific but if possible when I am not on the phone it would be preferable for
any other traffic to have access to the bandwidth that is reserved for the VOIP phones.

I am using version 1.3b13 and I created a test environment to see if I could accomplish this, by
creating a Pipe with a limit of 100 Kbps (just enough for one VOIP call) and one Queue that links to
this upload Pipe (a place to send all my other traffic for sorting). I then created two rules in
this order:

1. If the Source IP is the IP Phone send the traffic directly to the Upload pipe.
2. A catch-all rule that catches all other upload traffic and sends it to the Queue (linked to the
one Upload Pipe).

I then used the Traffic Graph on the router to watch the upload connection. By uploading a large
file by HTTP I could see that the catch-all rule was working as the Traffic Graph read around 100
Kbps which is the limit of the Pipe. I than left the HTTP upload running and attempted to make a
call. The Traffic Graph actually shows around 180 Kbps Outbound, which should be impossible since
the Pipe has a 100 Kbps limit and all traffic should be going through it.

It seems that any Traffic Shaper Rule pointing directly to a Pipe respects the Pipes Bandwidth Limit
(i.e. 100Kbps) but if any Queues are also linked to this Pipe they receive their own 100Kbps limit,
resulting in a total 200Kbps limit. So it seems that you should not use rules to send traffic
directly into a Pipe while still sending traffic in from a Queue. I was thinking by doing this, the
traffic sent directly into the Pipe would be placed outbound before any traffic from the Queues, but
I guess this is not the case.

So is there anyway to specify that traffic from my IP Phone is to be sent out upon arrival with any
remaining bandwidth left for the remaining traffic?

Thanks!
If you like crossword puzzles, then you'll love Flexicon, a game which combines four overlapping
crossword puzzles into one!
http://g.msn.ca/ca55/208