[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Stefan Hegnauer" <stefan dot hegnauer at gmx dot ch>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Two LAN segments with different IP range
 Date:  Tue, 26 Aug 2008 09:42:39 +0200
Hello all,

I could need some help here, searching through the m0n0wall handbook and
this list as well as googling the net did not come up with any working
solution. What I would like to do ist this:

- use an Alix 2c3 board as a firewall between the Internet and TWO internal
subnets (with possibly different rules in the future)
- one subnet LAN1 on vr0, using DHCP with a subnet address range of
192.168.10.0/24
- one subnet LAN2 on vr2, using DHCP with a subnet address range of
192.168.100.0/24
- the two LAN subnets do not require connection between them (if there is -
ok, it really does not matter)

The firewall rules for both subnets are identical at this time (and allow
any connection to the WAN).
Advanced Outbound NAT is identical for both subnets. (tried automatic
outbound rules -didn't help)
DNS forwarder is enabled, including registering of DHCP leases.
DHCP is enabled on both subnets with respective IP ranges.
The 'Interfaces' section of the web interface shows all network adapters up
and running at 100MB/s, also the LEDs on the different ports say that the
physical connection is ok.

I can use LAN1 without any problems, i.e. connect to m0n0wall, to the
internet, get DHCP leases, anything.

Hooking up the same computer (XP box) to LAN2 I cannot even get a DHCP
lease. Wireshark on the XP box shows that DHCP requests are sent from the XP
box, but not answered by m0n0. Trying to ping m0n0 from LAN2 results in ARP
broadcasts that are not answered by m0n0 - nothing, not a peep.
Trying to ping my XP box (this time with a static IP of 192.168.100.2) from
m0n0 does not give any replies, and wireshark does also not see them (and
the XP firewall is off).

I am running m0n0wall 1.3b14 (although I tried similar setups with earlier
versions, and no success as well).

Any help or pointers would be much appreciated!

Stefan