[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 1.234 bug reports, please (May be off topic)
 Date:  Tue, 26 Aug 2008 19:04:50 -0500
Quark IT - Hilton Travis wrote:

> Actually, a 16 MB file is 16,000,000 bytes in size whilst a 16 MiB file
> is 16,777,216 bytes in size.  So when a Flash card manufacturer sells a
> 16 MB card, it won't fit a 16 MiB file on it as there's not enough room.
> Just like HDD manufacturers, Flash card manufacturers are using the
> nomenclature correctly whereas others (like, say, Manuel) are not.  ;)

Depends on when you started.  The MB vs MiB thing was never an issue in
the old days.  Memory and HD space was in base 2. (Full Stop)  I forget
who first started the "Fake MB" but it was around 50meg drives, if I
remember right.  Now for people who have been around a while, 1 MB is
1024 kilobytes. (Full Stop)  Also, 1 GB is 1024 MB (1042*1024
kilobytes). Full stop.  Anything else is marketing BS that came around
later, and the public bought into because no one was taught to count on
there fingers in binary.  (Doing that, you can do quite advanced math
very fast on your fingers.  It freaks people out)  So, if anyone is
referring to a bit or a byte, and uses a multiplier of 1000, they are an
idiot or a marketer. (Redundant)  Yes, I know there is a whole "New
Standard" since 98 (yes I am old) but it has never really been used.
And consider the name; "mega binary byte."  A byte IS friggin binary!
There is no such thing as a base 10 Byte!  (Breathe...  Calm down...
Count to 10... 1, 10, 11, 100, 101, 110, 111, 1000, 1001, 1010  OK, I am
under control.) It also legitimizes the bastardization of kB, MB, and GB
in a base 2 numbering system.  Switching bases in the same counting
system is asinine.

Sorry, one of my pet peevs.

			Lee