[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  mtnbkr <waa dash m0n0wall at revpol dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 1.234 bug reports, please (May be off topic)
 Date:  Wed, 27 Aug 2008 08:53:38 -0400
> Depends on when you started.  The MB vs MiB thing was never an issue in
> the old days.  Memory and HD space was in base 2. (Full Stop)  I forget
> who first started the "Fake MB" but it was around 50meg drives, if I
> remember right.  Now for people who have been around a while, 1 MB is
> 1024 kilobytes. (Full Stop)  Also, 1 GB is 1024 MB (1042*1024
> kilobytes). Full stop.  Anything else is marketing BS that came around
> later, and the public bought into because no one was taught to count on
> there fingers in binary.  (Doing that, you can do quite advanced math
> very fast on your fingers.  It freaks people out)  So, if anyone is
> referring to a bit or a byte, and uses a multiplier of 1000, they are an
> idiot or a marketer. (Redundant)  Yes, I know there is a whole "New
> Standard" since 98 (yes I am old) but it has never really been used. And
> consider the name; "mega binary byte."  A byte IS friggin binary! There
> is no such thing as a base 10 Byte!  (Breathe...  Calm down... Count to
> 10... 1, 10, 11, 100, 101, 110, 111, 1000, 1001, 1010  OK, I am under
> control.) It also legitimizes the bastardization of kB, MB, and GB in a
> base 2 numbering system.  Switching bases in the same counting system is
> asinine.
>
> Sorry, one of my pet peevs.
>
>             Lee

Amen Lee.    I'm right there with you.

One of my pet peeves was back in the late 80's and into the 90's when monitors
were always sold like:

<boldprint>"FIFTEEN INCH MONITOR"</boldprint>
<tinyprint>13.8 viewable</tinyprint>

I never knew how they got away with that marketing scam... Some 15" monitors
were 14" viewable and some where as low as 13.x viewable... While all were
marketed and sold as 15" monitors.   Lies. Pure lies. arg...

--
Bill Arlofski
Reverse Polarity, LLC